Star Trek: First Contact (Paramount Pictures, 1996) is the eighth feature film based on the popular Star Trek science fiction television series. In it, the cast of Star Trek: The Next Generation again encounter their adversaries, the Borg, and this time attempt to prevent the Borg from changing history by conquering the Earth of the 21st century through the use of time travel. The film is from a script by Brannon Braga and Ronald D. Moore, with music composed by Jerry Goldsmith.
Resistance is Futile.
- Directed by Jonathan Frakes. Written by Rick Berman, Brannon Braga, and Ronald D. Moore.
- [The Enterprise crew have found Zefram Cochrane]
- Deanna Troi: [very drunk] Time line?! This is no time to argue about time! We don't have the time. [she pauses, then looks confused.] What was I saying?
- William Riker: You're drunk.
- Troi: [offended] I am not.
- Riker: [laughs] Yes, you are.
- Troi: Look, he wouldn't even talk to me unless I had a drink with him. And then, it took three shots of something called tequila just to find out he was the one we're looking for. And I spent the last 20 minutes trying to keep his hands off me. [she pokes Riker in the chest] So don't go criticizing my counseling technique.
- Riker: [laughs] Sorry.
- Troi: [defensively] It's a primitive culture. I'm just trying to blend in.
- Riker: You're blended all right.
- Zefram Cochrane: Let me just make sure that I understand you correctly, Commander. A group of cybernetic creatures from the future have traveled back through time to enslave the human race... and you're here to stop them?
- William Riker: That's right.
- Cochrane: Hot damn! You're heroic.
- William Riker: Someone once said, "Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man and let history make its own judgements."
- Zefram Cochrane: That's rhetorical nonsense. Who said that?
- Riker: [smiling] You did. Ten years from now.
- Picard: You want to destroy the ship, and run away. You coward.
- Worf: [irked] If you were any other man I would kill you where you stand!
- [Lily tries to convince Picard to self-destruct the Enterprise, but he is defiant.]
- Lily Sloane: I'm sorry, I didn't mean to interrupt your little quest. Captain Ahab has to go hunt his whale!
- Jean-Luc Picard: [offended] What did you say?
- Sloane: You do have books in the 24th-century don't you?
- Picard: This is not about revenge!
- Sloane: Liar!
- Picard: [agitated] This is about saving the future of humanity!
- Sloane: Jean-Luc, blow up the damn ship!!
- Picard: NO! NOOOOOOOOO!!! [smashes a display case in anger; Both pause, shocked] I will not sacrifice the Enterprise. We've made too many compromises already, too many retreats. They invade our space, and we fall back. They assimilate entire worlds, and we fall back. Not again. The line must be drawn here! This far and no further! And I will make them pay for what they've done!
- Sloane: [looking at the broken remains of the Enterprise-D model] You broke your little ships. [pause] See you around, Ahab.
- Picard: [softly, to himself] "And he piled upon the whale's white hump the sum of all the rage and hate felt by his whole race. If his chest had been a cannon he would have shot his heart upon it."
- Sloane: What?
- Picard: Moby Dick.
- Sloane: Actually, I never read it.
- Picard: Ahab spent years hunting the white whale that crippled him; but in the end, it destroyed him and his ship.
- Sloane: I guess he didn't know when to quit.
- Jean-Luc Picard: Begin auto-destruct sequence, authorization Picard-four-seven-alpha-tango.
- Beverly Crusher: Computer, Commander Beverly Crusher. Confirm auto-destruct sequence, authorization Crusher-two-two-beta-Charlie.
- Worf: Computer, Lieutenant Commander Worf. Confirm auto-destruct sequence. Authorization Worf-three-seven-gamma-echo.
- Computer: Command authorization accepted. Awaiting final code to begin auto-destruct sequence.
- Picard: This is Captain Jean-Luc Picard. Destruct sequence alpha-one, 15 minutes, silent countdown. Enable.
- Computer: Self-destruct in 15 minutes. There will be no further audio warnings.
- Crusher: So much for the Enterprise E.
- Picard: We barely knew her.
- Crusher: You think they'll build another one?
- Picard: Plenty of letters left in the alphabet.
- William Riker: Everybody ready to make some history?
- Geordi LaForge: Always am.
- Zefram Cochrane: I think I forgot something.
- Riker: What?
- Cochrane: I don't know, probably nothing.
- Deanna Troi: [at launch center] Begin ignition sequence.
- Cochrane: Oh God, now I remember!
- LaForge: What?
- Cochrane: Where is it?
- LaForge: What?!
- Cochrane: We can't lift off without it.
- Riker: Geordi, we've got to abort!
- Cochrane: No, no, wait I've found it.
- [Troi continues countdown]
- Cochrane: Let's rock 'n' roll! [plugs a small disc into a slot in the Phoenix control panel]
- Troi: Eight, seven, six - [removes headset just as "Magic Carpet Ride" begins blaring through everyone's headsets and the Phoenix lifts off]
- Borg Queen: Destroy them. [Data fires three quantum torpedoes at the Phoenix] Watch your future's end. [sees torpedoes home in on the Phoenix, but gets shocked when they miss] DATA!
- Data: [in a mocking tone] Resistance...is futile! [breaks open the coolant conduit on the warp core and coolant starts to flood the room]
- Data: She brought me closer to humanity than I ever thought possible, and for a time...I was tempted by her offer.
- Jean-Luc Picard: How long a time?
- Data: Zero-point-six-eight seconds, sir. For an android, that is nearly an eternity.
- [The Vulcans have landed to meet Cochrane.]
- Vulcan: [flashes Vulcan greeting] Live long and prosper.
- Zefram Cochrane: [tries to respond with greeting but opts to shake Vulcan's hand instead] Thanks.
- Resistance is Futile.
- Earth. Population Nine Billion. None Human.
|Quotes for other Star Trek television series and feature films
The Original Series · The Animated Series · The Next Generation · Deep Space Nine · Voyager · Enterprise
The Motion Picture · II: The Wrath of Khan · III: The Search for Spock · IV: The Voyage Home · V: The Final Frontier · VI: The Undiscovered Country
Generations · First Contact · Insurrection · Nemesis · Star Trek